Dear 1st and 2nd Grade Parents:
How exciting….your child will be preparing to grow in their faith and begin preparing for two very special sacraments: Sacrament of First Reconciliation (Confession) and First Eucharist (Communion).
This letter is to help parents learn about the commitment and requirements necessary for your child to prepare to receive these sacraments.
Key elements of preparation for First Reconciliation and First Eucharist are:
- Regular worship at Sunday Mass
- Participation in Sunday Faith Formation classes (either in the parish or at a Catholic school)
- Participation in the two sacrament retreats
- Completion of sacrament books at home
- Two consecutive years of preparation prior to receiving First Eucharist (this is typically 1st and 2nd grade; however, we do work with children who are older as well)
What does the two-year preparation period look like?
The first year, the child is enrolled in the appropriate class for their school grade. Although this is usually 1st grade, a student can be a ‘year one’ student in any grade. This first year concentrates on learning about the Faith at the appropriate grade level, beginning to understand and appreciate the Mass, the Commandments, and forgiveness.
The second year, the child enrolls in the appropriate grade. Although this is usually 2nd grade, a student can be a ‘year two’ student in any grade. In conjunction with attending appropriate grade level classes, the child is enrolled in the Sacrament Preparation Program. The sacramental preparation includes classroom instruction (to teach the basics of our faith), at home instruction from sacramental textbooks (to engage in family faith formation), and two retreats (to reinforce material in the sacramental textbooks).
Below is a general outline of the meetings/events you and/or your child will be required to attend for Year Two.
- Parent Meeting (Parents only) – October 29, 2020 from 6:00 – 7:15 pm
- Retreat (one evening) (Parents/Child) – December 10, 2020 from 5:30 – 7:30 pm
- First Reconciliation (Parents/Child) – January 23, 2021 @ 10:00 am
(note this is a Saturday morningJ)
- Parent Mtg (Parents only) – January (Date TBD)
- Retreat (one evening) (Parents/Child)– February or March (Date TBD)
- First Eucharist – (Parents/Child) Weekend of April 24 & 25, 2021
The primary preparations for these sacraments will take place in your home. Each family will receive a set of books and access to on-line videos to use for these preparations. Class time will be used to teach the children about the basic concepts of these sacraments as well as other faith formation subjects.
The cost of materials for sacrament preparation this year is as follows:
First Reconciliation Book: $10.00
First Eucharist Book: $10.00
First Eucharist Banner: $15.00
Parish Contribution - 10.00
Total Due Per Child $25.00
This amount may be paid in full now or you can make arrangements with Rachel. Checks should be made out to St. Anne’s Church. If you are concerned about payment for these materials, please talk to me or Deacon Larry. No one will be turned away due to a financial hardship.
We look forward to partnering with you during this most holy year,
PK-5 Faith Formation Coordinator
651-329-3083 or email@example.com